"The Story of Clifton Camville” by PYE, pub. 1892, photocopy is in the SOURCES file, and is largely devoted to the ownership of the Manor and the Pye family.
typed sheets, genealogy (see above) plus one pencil sheet prepared
handwritten sheets, by John Needham probably form a larger collection,
1701. John Needham’s note on Pye acquisition of Clifton Manor by Sir Charles Pye and his mother, Rebecca (EM. 1312)
Photocopied pages, pp. 128-9 and 132-3 from Pye “Story of Clifton Camville”.
One sheet photocopy Pye Coat of Arms
A collection of notes and drawings gathered by John Needham on the building of Clifton Hall. Circa 1708 Francis Smith’s
work (EM. 1337)
Two sheets photocopied on Smith by Professor H. Colvin
One handwritten note on Smith;
six pages of drawings, sketches and
Two letters from Professor A.H. Gomme and one letter from Sheffield,
archivist, Richard Childs, referring to (EM. 1337); postscript by
Three Xerox copies of plans for Clifton Hall prepared for Sir Charles
1710 John Needham’s file on Wm. Dickenson’s Design for Clifton Hall
Includes two photocopied pictures of a Palladian house; plus article
1731 EM. 1358/48 letter to Sir Robert Pye from Joseph Adey, Attorney at Law – Photocopy of original and John Needham’s
Another photocopy from Adey to Sir Robert Pye and John Needham’s pencil notes (on back)
EM.1368/51 letter to Sir Robert Pye from J. Benion.
photocopied sheets and John Needham’s handwritten copy re:
Court Leet and Court Baron 1773 and 1774 EM. 1327 (five small note
Courts met at the manor - Charles Howard, Steward.
1837 EM. 1367. Correspondence H.J. Pye and Tithes Commutation
Commissioners. Seven letters photocopies.
· (See also MAP COLLECTION for thirty seven pages.
Photocopies re: details of
1892 Map of Clifton Hall and surrounds. Hand-coloured, but origin unknown.
(enclosures: Four photocopied photos –
Squires Retreat’ Ms. Reed on river at the Hermitage;
West Clifton Hall; Main Door Clifton Hall; Sketch of Kitchen Wing; Clifton Hall a photocopy.
1906 Re/Sale of Estate (Photocopy)
Declaration by Solicitors in Tamworth, Edward Argyle & Robert
Nevill: 4 January 1906.
SEE ALSO MAPS FILE FOR DIVISION OF ESTATE INTO LOTS FOR SALE FOLLOWING UNSUCCESSFUL SALE OF “THE WHOLE”.
Two handwritten sheets, by John Needham, of tenants and
1964, but later additions 1985
See similar (Two typed sheets Clifton Hall and former coach house block
for (Staffordshire County Council, Architectural history of
CLIFTON (Staffordshire Listed Buildings.
1977 Two photocopies from ‘Farmer’s Weekly’
- July 22nd by Lesley Deane
- August 3rd by Mary Phizacklea
1981 ‘Tamworth Herald’ photo (photocopy) Clifton Hall, November 13th